About Mercy Catholic College

Our Heritage

Mercy Catholic College was established by The Sisters of Mercy in 1890 and has been on the present site since 1905.

The Sisters of Mercy is a Religious organisation founded by Catherine McAuley on December 12, 1831 in Dublin, Ireland. The Sisters of Mercy were known as pioneering women who were daring and generous in their mission to reach out to the needs of others by providing education, hospitality and pastoral care, particularly to women.

In Australia, there are many different communities of the Sisters of Mercy who carry on Catherine McAuley’s legacy. In 1890 Mercy Catholic College, then known as St Catherine’s School, was established by the North Sydney community.

The Sisters of Mercy administered the College until 1989 and since then it has been part of the Diocese of Broken Bay system of Catholic schools.

A member of the Australasian Mercy Secondary Schools Association, Mercy Catholic College has strong links with all Mercy schools throughout Australia and internationally.

Catherine McAuley’s teachings continue to guide and inspire our young women to
Strive for Better Things.